plantboy goes digital

...because it's cool to be green and bitwise.

Friday, November 05, 2004

Overdue

It's been a long time, blog readers. I am fairly certain there are very few of you, and that is part of the reason. I have also been busy with school, another part of the reason. And I am developing several other digital projects right now so I have not been as intent to spend my free time in front of the computer. But I will at least post a brief update that I hope will satiate you somewhat.

Mostly I am working on web development, but the most promising project I've contributed to recently involves what we are calling "NatureLink Cards"--little devices to be attached to clothing and other retail items that detail a connection to nature the customer might not otherwise realize. They were my professor's idea, and she asked me to design them. I made a few prototypes, and they're a huge hit. She showed them to the National Science Foundation, a company interested in producing them with its clothing, etc., and now she plans of touting them to her colleagues. So that's a success.

My database class is sort of an ordeal. The course material is good but the instructor is not so hot. The worse part is that the instructor is my advisor for my contract so I am not in a very good position to critique her style. I wouldn't know where to begin, anyway. She's just sort of scatterbrained and unclear about her expectations, both of me as a lab assistant and the students. She took on this class as a favor to PLU, and it's obvious that she has neither the time, resources, nor interest in making it a worthwhile class. She's looking at it as an opportunity to begin developing a future course for researchers. I'm looking at it as a liability. I am learning a good amount about databases, but some of the things she has me doing feel absolutely pointless. I don't like work for work's sake. I am making an attempt to turn this into something valuable, though, by taking the time to build a database to describe the study I did in Costa Rica. That will be cool.

Fall is in full swing here. Leaves are falling like big floppy raindrops. It's much colder than I would like it to be. My favorite sweater has developed a threadbare hole in the elbow. Damn. I need to purchase some warm clothing from Goodwill. Screw shopping at Nordstrom, I'd rather be in the tropics, where I don't have to wear big bulky clothing or turn on the heat, ever. But hey, we deal.

Speaking of leaving the country, the possibility of doing so has never been more enticing before in my life. I completely lost faith in the system that runs our country when the popular vote and the electoral vote went to the most outrageously unfit president we've had in the last quarter-century. What is the problem here, people? Should we welcome the fucking apocalypse with open arms?! I've got to get the hell out of here. It's clear I think much to hard about what's really going on to belong here. Maybe somewhere else I could become part of some opposition that actually made a difference. Here I feel like a little fish getting swept along with the rest of the school straight into the mouth of that big shark that nobody seems to see except me and a few of my buddies, thinking "Escape! Escape! Escape while you still can!"

Need to get an MS first, I think, or at least line up an MS overseas. The gears are spinning.

So there's an update for you. If you'd like to encourage more posting, I highly suggest posting comments and letting me know you exist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home